Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Back to Fun

Sorry for the dearth of posts lately. Law School started up and we just had a guy quit work leaving us short handed, so I have been swamped. But now that we are in week 3 and truly underway I can relax back into the rhythm of less free time and needing to maximize gaming time.

Unlike past years where I tried to maximize my play time based on efficiency of activity, this year I have been doing something novel (at least for me), I am trying to maximizing fun. This was spawned by a blog post (I forget where, i think World of Matticus) that discussed the odd stages in a game where progression stops mattering nearly as much; right before a big patch, right as servers are coming up or down and, as we find ourselves now, right before a major expansion.

How to maximize fun became the next logical question. My choice surprised me; I started pvping. But not as arms, or my beloved fury, but rather as Prot. I know, I know, prot is a viable pvp spec and puts fear into the heart of many a caster and melee alike. Sure sure, we can say this, but until you try it these are just words on a computer screen. Actually jumping into BGs shield in hand, spell reflecting, disarming, shield slamming (in the face of course) and charging all over the battle field, it's hard to imagine the unadulterated fun that prot pvp can be.

Why did this surprise me? Honestly I'm not sure. I like prot and have a very nice tanking set at this point (our guild tanks are very well geared, leaving a lot of pieces to us off spec tanks). I tank heroics all the time for daily frosties and friends, and even do WG as prot (because getting one shot by alliance with 20 tenacity is annoying). Even with those prot loving experiences under my belt I still wasn't prepared for rolling into a BG with 40k health and 500 resil (still working on gathering my pvp gear), 2 stuns, 3 combat charges, a ranged silence and a dispel.

The other thing I adore about prot pvp is the pace. It is both fast paced and tactical due to all your possible maneuvers, while being manageable due to survivability cool downs and large health pool.

So if I can recommend something before the expansion hits, while grinding out that last bit of pre-expac gold sounds like the most worth while thing to do, try to think of what is the most fun thing to do is instead. For me, finding prot pvp has revitalized my gaming time and made me look forward to logging in as much now as at any point this expansion.

So find what you think will be fun and give it a try, it may be just the thing you need to keep you interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment